Monday, November 22, 2010

What Dr. Seuss Taught Me About Invasive Plants

In "On Beyond Zebra" Dr. Seuss teaches us the problem with invasive plants.

In the places I go there are things that I see
That I never could spell if I stopped with the Z.
I'm telling you this 'cause you're one of my friends.
My alphabet starts where your alphabet ends!"
He then proceeds to describe the alphabet on beyond Zebra.
One of his special letters is NUH.
"And NUH is the letter I use to spell Nutches
Who live in small caves, known as Nitches, for hutches.
These Nutches have troubles, the biggest of which is
The fact there are many more Nutches than Nitches.
Each Nutch in a Nitch knows that some other Nutch
Would like to move into his Nitch very much.
So each Nutch in a Nitch has to watch that small Nitch
Or Nutches who haven't got Nitches will snitch.


Our native Nutches need their niches.



Thanks to the TheLorax at Wildlife Gardeners for introduing me to this great analogy.
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/feature-articles/3773-invasive-species-nutshell.html

No comments:

Post a Comment